Friday, July 23, 2010

Even in discomfort the breath is sweet

No running today but I did go to yoga.  It’s a pretty challenging class and many of the poses are difficult but breathing and mindfulness have been key.  Since I have been going to yoga more consistently, I feel like I am getting stronger and am progress in my yoga practice. I am definitely not that flexible and still sometimes feel like a beginner even though I have been practicing for about 2 years off and on.  But something always brings me back and I am hooked.
 Running and yoga are a lot alike. How could they possibly be alike you ask??  Well I guess the mental part is more the commonality.  In running, I have learned that I am not the fastest and am probably not going to win any medals.  I had to learn very quickly that it was ok when people passed me, even people who were older, larger, and yes the ones with jogging strollers! I grew up being a pretty competitive person and maybe I still am in some sense but running has toned that part of me down.  I am still competitive with myself and always want to increase my progress but I try very hard not to compare myself to other people.  It’s the same in yoga.  When you walk into a yoga studio, at first it can be a little intimidating, people doing handstands and twisting in all kinds of odd positions.  I would think, gosh I am SO not flexible so how am I going to hold up in this class.  But in yoga it isn’t about other people, it’s about you and your intention for your practice and about just being in the moment.  It’s not about all the crazy positions everyone else can do.
I like the idea of always trying to make myself a better yogi, runner, and much more but I also like the fact that no one is looking at me thinking, gosh she only runs a 10 minute mile or oh she is the girl that can’t do a hand stand.  Instead in both running and yoga, the people around you are excited that you made the effort to come out, no matter what your level.  The commonality is that we are all taking a step to a starting line, that line might just be different for each person.  What is your starting line and what will you do to get there today?

*The title of this entry is something my yoga teacher said today that stuck with me.  Don't forget to breathe...
Ok one more note: As I am writing this, I am listening to Pandora Radio and this song came on:  Breathe  by Telepopmusik came on. Look it up. You know this one! 
Coincidence??

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely feel the same way. It's a tough challenge not to compare yourself to others if you have been competitive in the past. For me, it's definitely all about getting that feeling of lightness and space. Breathing is so Very key to this!

    ReplyDelete