Sunday, September 19, 2010

Signs, signs, everywhere, signs


Today I feel like a runner...

I achieved my goal and finished under 2:15.   My last half marathon time from June 2010 was 2:32. Although it was hotter in June, I still felt so much more prepared and ready this time around.  I can say for just about the entire time my mind stayed positive and if it strayed and starting thinking about all the miles still ahead, I reminded myself that I have done this before, last week in fact, and that was an extra mile! So why worry, why get nervous. I knew it was going to be a good day, even when I woke up and it was still dark outside.

Philadelphia is an amazing city and I am so happy for all of the spectators throughout the course - Here are some of the signs that kept me going today-

"Run like you stole something"

"If it was easy, everybody would do it"

"Your feet hurt because you're kickin butt"

And my personal favorite, "Pain is temporary, Pride is Forever" 
 ~this sign was held by a little boy who was wearing a t-shirt that said -Children's Tumor Foundation
This one hit me hard, probably because it was held by a child who may have been through more in his little life than I may ever know.   But the sign worked, I pushed through any pain I felt and remembered that sign for the entire run.

Whoever said "you don't have to be first to be a winner" was so right.  Maybe that person even runs between a 10 and 11 minute mile like me! Either way, I feel like all of my training is paying off and I couldn't ask for a better time to feel this success.  I know I can't forget that I am still IN training for a much longer distance race but for today, I am going to enjoy the feeling of being a winner.
Cheers!

Here are some pictures that my husband took while he waited for me to cross the finish line! 

Starting line
Look at all the runners! They are close to the finish! 

go go go!

He found me!

2 comments:

  1. So weird...you know I had a blog post awhile back with the exact same title, right???

    ReplyDelete
  2. cutting 15 minutes off is amazing! Great pictures by your hubby and congrats on the half!

    Gina :)

    ReplyDelete