Monday, September 13, 2010

A runner with a view





My most recent long run was another 14 miler through some of Forbidden Drive.  If you haven't had a chance to run, bike or walk here, you really should.  It was lush and gorgeous and I forgot that I was in a city.   I can't believe it took me this long to run here.  But now that I have been made aware of these trails, I know that I will be taking advantage of the gorgeous nature that is so close to my home.

The distances are long and yet I prevail.  Mentally I have been able to stay more in the present moment rather than anticipating the distances yet to come.  I have been trying very hard to enjoy the scenery, the sights, and the sounds.  Sometimes the sounds are coming from my ipod and sometimes from my fellow runners.  On Saturday there was a lot of talk about having kids, not having kids, what its like to be in our 20's vs our 30's,  how tired we are at night and how even though our husbands/boyfriends might get annoyed that we are tired, that they are surprisingly supportive and excited for us.  It was nice to talk... with no expectations.  Sometimes we didn't say a word and jogged in silence and other times we were chatting about whatever came to our minds. 

When I started this blog, I was dreading the long runs and was scared out of my mind!  But the more I accomplish and check off my list, the more I want to challenge myself with the next distance.  The closer I get to the 26.2, the more I want it!  It's starting to feel real instead of just some crazy idea I created in my head.  This is really happening and I really am going to do this!  

This Sunday, September 19th, I will be running a half marathon - The Philly Distance Run.
It will only be my second half marathon and I am excited for this as I definitely feel ready.   Last time I ran a half, it was in June in Annapolis.  It was 90 degrees and I struggled through the last 6 miles.  I am hoping that this experience on Sunday is much different.  All I can say is  -  I am confident that because no matter what, I am ready. Bring it on PDR!

No comments:

Post a Comment