Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's only a matter of time

Today is exactly one week until the marathon.

     I have been training for over 16 weeks. When I started this journey, the weather was unkind, I was running alone with only my ipod to keep me company and really didn't have a clue what I would be in for.   All I thought was, I can do this, this will be a new challenge and what better time than now!


So I ran,
a lot.    

I joined a group and met others tackling the Philly Marathon and entered a new mile zone almost every weekend.  I faced fears of runs in the high teens and also the dreaded 20 miler! I ran during the week, in the rain, and in cold.  I bought a hydration belt, body glide, and ate clif shots and gels for that energy boost I needed! I met up with friends to run (thank you - you know who you are!). 

Having people to run with made some of the monotony during the weeks dissipate and it also gave me a chance to catch up with old friends and perhaps make new friendships as well.  The ipod was used less and instead I started noticing all of gorgeous sights around me - from corn fields, farms with sheep talking to us, and grassy green hills to the streets and sounds of Philadelphia, I took it all in.  I watched as the seasons changed and the fall colors emerge into amazing golden browns and ruby reds.  I remembered to breathe and enjoyed the moments.  I reminded myself often of how lucky I am to be able to run and be outside amongst the beauty and to witness nature changing as I was changing as well. 

On the outside my muscles got stronger and my body became lean.  My clothes appeared a bit looser and I enjoyed it.  On the inside I began to feel more confident, realized my strong will and my dedication to my commitment.  Even though there were definite times of struggle, frustration, and extreme tiredness,  I always remembered my goal and reminded myself that pain and suffering are going to make success feel that much sweeter.

At this point, I don't know that there is much more to say.  I have had many entries that talked about the amazing runs and the difficult ones.  I also shared about my fears, the challenges, the hills, the heat, the soreness, and the gratitude.  I thank all of you who have read, encouraged, ran with me, talked with me, and asked how training was going.  It all helped me stick with it! 

On race day, I am going to be nervous, the jitters are going to be insane, but I know I am ready for the 26.2.   Once I get to the start, the worries ( I hope) will fly away with the first step I take.  I can't wait to experience it,  from start to finish!


 ***

When I was in Rehoboth on vacation back in August, I went for a walk on the beach and took my music with me.  I remember it was after my 10 mile training run which ended up being very difficult for me.   It was hot, I struggled with each step and my mind tended to stay in the negative zone...

As I walked along the Delaware beach, I looked out into the ocean and at the crashing waves as Jason Mraz's - Song for a Friend came on.   As he sang, it was that moment that I knew this challenge was only as tough as I would make it out to be.  Only I had to power to over come my negative mind, keep up with the training, stay strong and push.  

And that's exactly what I did!!



Climb up over the top.
Survey the state of the soul.
You've got to find out for yourself whether or not you're truly trying.
Why not give it a shot?
Shake it. Take control and inevitably wind up
Find out for yourself all the strengths you have inside of you. 


(oddly enough -this song was introduced to me by a friend- Thanks Col! )
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up! I'll be thinking of you on race day! Look out, 26.2 - Sharon's a comin'!

    ReplyDelete