Sunday, October 31, 2010

Feelin the burn~


Yesterday I got up to go the distance.  I got up and  reminded myself that I would again be attempting a new challenge -  a 20 mile run.  The longest run in the training overall and very intimidating. I kept reminding myself that I just ran 18 a couple weeks ago so this is only 2 more.  That sounds doable, right?

Right.

So I got up, went to meet Team Philly and off we went - running, talking, breathing, and enjoying the scenery of Wissahickon Park.  It was a cool fall day and another perfect one for running. Sounds nice and relaxing, doesn't it?

I guess now a day later, what is in the forefront of my mind is the positives and that is a good thing.  If I thought back and all I could say was that it was a horrible experience I think I would be deeply disappointed so I am happy that is not the case here.  I remember the sunshine and the crackling of the leaves as we ran.  I remember the fall colors, the friendly people, other runners making new goals for themselves as well as my will to push myself. 

But it was also extremely difficult.  There was pain and even some agony.  Towards the end, my calves were starting to burn and my mind was going to strange places.  Not hallucinations exactly but I think at one point I could have sworn I saw a monkey in a tree.  Are there monkeys in Philly?
At times we compared our pain- "my calves hurt, oh good because mine do too.  My knee feels weird. My ankles are sore.  My tail bone is stiff"~  Since this is our first time running this far, we were unsure if these feelings were normal reactions from our body dealing with this incredibly long distance or was it something else.  We may never know!


Once into the last mile, I felt my body wanting to pick up the pace a bit.  I definitely found some unused adrenaline and that made it a little exciting.   In the end, we finished strong as we always do and even though our high fives may have looked weak, we were very excited to complete a 20 mile run.  After I stopped running, the pain in my calves intensified.  I walked a bit and then waited in line for a massage.  It was difficult to stand in one spot because my legs were hurting so bad.  But the pain and the burn slowly dissipated and the massage, although not the relaxing kind you get at a spa, helped immensely.  They stretched me and rubbed deep into my legs, which hurt a bit, but when I got off the table the pain was gone, Thank you Phila Massage, Thank you!


I hope that when I run the Philadelphia Marathon, the adrenaline is there, because in reality there are still 6 more miles to go after the 20 so while I am extremely happy and satisfied with my performance, I am nervous about the actual race and the 'unknown zone'.  At this point, all I can bank on is that I have worked extremely hard to get to where I am and am happy to say that I have been able to keep up with my commitment to myself and to the training schedule. 

These next 3 weeks, the runs will taper.  I can tell my body needs a break and she deserves one too.  So although I will still be running, there won't be any more runs more than 13 until marathon day.
Flowers Brian bought me while I was running 20 miles. Thanks babe!    

It will be here soon and I have to say I am finally starting to get very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment