Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sitting on the sideline

I have only ran once since my last post and my knee pain was present-big time---

Thankful for a least a fun running partner to distract me from myself! We ran about 3 miles and honestly I did not feel so great.   It just made me realize that rest does not mean "run once in a while and you will be fine", it really means - take a break and don't run!

I go to the doctor tonight and I am wondering what exactly he will say.  He is just my PCP so its not like I will get an MRI or anything like that so I will not be any closer to know what is truly going on below the skin.  That being said, I also have an appointment at Rothman Orthopedics but the only appointment I could get is not for a couple weeks.   But I am happy I at least have the appointment.  It feels like a positive starting point.  I am not sure why I didn't do this when I first felt pain.  I guess just like any addict, I was in denial.  I did not want to accept that something is wrong and that there is a problem.  I think I am Finally realizing that this pain/sensation in my knee is sticking around and I need to talk to a professional about what to do (or what not to do)!

So again, I feel unsettled. I want to run! I love the feeling it gives me and it absolutely helps keep me stay in shape.  I am so envious of the people running outside and even those on the treadmill at the gym.  I look at their healthy knees and scoff at them. I think, they don't know how lucky they are! 
          
I know, I know, this is not the end of the world and overall I AM healthy.  I know things could be much, much worse.  I have put things into perspective -  However, I feel that it is SO frustrating to find that I found something that I love to do and is good for me and now I am not able to do it.  It stings to see others around town running, while I sit on the sidelines.

I finally used the elliptical and it wasn't that bad.  Kind of boring but so is the treadmill.  I did feel good after though so that helped get me out of my funk a little bit.  The fact that I at least have an appointment with a Sports-Medicine doc also makes me feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  

So, in the meantime Yoga will become a consistent part of my exercise regime as well as ellipting and maybe spinning too.  Lots of core and maybe even some weights! I am trying to be exciting about a new routine rather than pine over my old one. 


One day at a time, one step at a time.  The pavement hasn't seen the last of me.  I shall return!!




No comments:

Post a Comment