Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I've got the remedy

Since I last wrote, running has gotten a lot better! I took some advice from a friend who is also a physical therapist.  He gave me some stretching tips as well as suggested strengthening my hips and glutes.  He also told me about the amazing foam roller! It helps to massage your IT band.  I use it everyday regardless of if I am running or not but I especially use it before and after a run.  It kind of hurts to massage the IT area but afterward I can definitely feel the difference.  In addition to all of that, I also bought a knee band that goes right above my knee. It helps to stabilize my knee while running.  I feel like the bionic woman between all that and the already permanent metal in my back!  But its been really positive so no complaints here...

The most I have ran is about 4.5 miles.  I have felt pretty strong so far.  I still feel some pain in my knee at times but it is not constant and I have not had to stop running.  I am still not sure about Broad Street yet.  I am trying to take one day at a time.  So things have been looking in up in the running realm and it couldn't have happened at a better time.  This time of year is very busy at work and running definitely helps to relieve my stress after a long day.  I am happy to have that as an outlet again. 

People that think the mantra of taking 'one day at a time' is just for people in alcoholics anonymous should really think again.  I know it is definitely a useful way of thinking for me.   If I think too far ahead all I end up having are false and mostly unrealistic expectations-whether it be about running or other parts of my life.  When I take a step back and remind myself to take one day at a time and sometimes even one moment at a time, I find I handle situations much better.  I am calmer and can think much clearer. 

In yoga, we are taught to think more about the present moment ~ That its all we really have.  The future is skewed by our own expectations and the past is sometimes seen with either regret or rose colored glasses.  Either way, all we have is now and I know when I think this way, I feel much better about what might be down the road. 

As promised-here are pictures of the office we fixed up - from start to finish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment