Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ramble on

Today I woke up at 6 am to get ready for my 7 mile run with the group. I could have easily stayed in bed. My husband was sleeping so soundly and I wanted to stay. But I made a committment and knew I had to stick with the plan.
I went outside and sat on the porch for a few moments. I am lucky enough to live right across from the collingswood farmers market so I watched as the workers prepared for a busy morning. I quickly realized that they all have been up and working hard a lot longer than me and it was abut humbling since they do this at least every Saturday from May to November. It made me feel better about my 16 week committment to my training.
I met the group at 7:15. There were 7 of us. I noticed some iPods so that made me feel better about bringing mine. As we started out on our run, it was clear that some run faster than others. A few made jokes about knowing they would be in the back of the group and so on. As we ran on, some people split up and before I knew it, myseld and one other person were in the ones in the back. For a minute I panicked! I don't want to be last! The negative thoughts were messing with my head and my running. But I kept going and made myself stop worrying about that. I will finish and that is all that matters.
7 miles isn't the longest distance in the world but it's definitely enough time for your mind to wander. I thought about the group. Were we really a group? Only 2 of the 7 were sticking together, the rest of us were with ourselves. Do I need this group or could I just have
easily ran 7 on my own? What I have decided is that the group helped me wake up early and get outside. I may not make great friends or have amazing conversations with them while running, but knowing people are waiting for you means something. And I am sure as I continue with this group I will get to know everyone better as well.
I ended up not being last, not that it matters. I thought I was going to be for a while and ended up being ok with it. It was a wonderful day to get up early and get outside to do
something I enjoy. If it wasn't for the group, I think I would have missed out.

7 miles:
probably once I hit 3 miles, this run got tougher for me. My legs felt tight. I ran yesterday and shouldn't have. For long runs in the future, plan a rest day before and after.
But I finished and feel great now. My husband and I are painting some rooms in the house and then going over a friend's house later. It's a great weekend!!

4 comments:

  1. You are really lucky to live so close to the Farmer's Market. I think that running with a group is important, even if you don't stick together all the time. I haven't run with anyone since high school, but there is definitely a benefit that the group dynamic provides.

    There is nothing wrong with being last, but pushing a little extra to be sure that you've given it all that you've got is important. Having someone within catching distance usually provides the necessary drive to dig deep. Even if you don't catch the person, you know you've done your best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight and advice. I appreciate it. This whole experience is about pushing myself even when I am down. I am trying not to focus too much on time and I agree that I don't mind being last as long as worked as hard as I could in those moments. Hope you are getting everything you wanted to get accomplished done. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon you're awesome!!!! I'm so proud of you for doing this, and excited to hear more... your blog is going to motivate ME to run more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really pushes you when there are others. Sometimes I feel like I over exert myself to fit a mold or expectation, but then have to remember it is all about one's own personal best. I am definitely one of the ones in the back right now. Sometimes when you're at the top, it's harder to have a reason to push because the success gets too comfortable.

    ReplyDelete