Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Enjoy the silence

I haven't written since saturday bc our computer is not working. I have been resorting to the iPhone to type the last few blogs and it is not my favorite way to write down my thoughts. But it's weird, I feel the need to write. It really helps me reflect on my training. Sunday was a rest day for me...sort of. I say sort of bc Brian and I have been tackling some house projects such as painting the upstairs hallway and bathroom as well as some ceiling painting. We did a lot on Sunday and at the end of the day I was tired. I wonder if my body really got the rest that it needed.
On Monday, I ran 5k distance in 29 minutes! It is funny in hindsight bc about a quarter mile into the run my iPod stopped working. I went to fix it but then decided I didn't need it. From that point on, I focused on my speed. I told myself I could finish in under 30 minutes and I did. It felt great to challenge myself and I was happy with my finish.

Today, I got up and was very tired. After running last night, I helped paint a little bit as well as did some other little things and I think it all hit me in the morning. I told myself, "it's a running day so get out there!" It was a hard run. My legs were heavy and it felt humid. I got through it and at the end sprinted a few times but still I felt defeated.
Am I doing too much between all the house stuff and the exercise?
Tomorrow is a rest day and I am looking forward to it. I want to get some stretching and push ups/situps/yoga in there but I promise I will be kind to my body. It's telling me it needs some rest.
As I reflect on the 2 runs, I think it is interesting that the one that was better and more enjoyable was the one where I did not listen to music. I think it's probably a good idea to
run minus iPods from time to time. It's tough bc music really motivates me, but on monday, it was all me! It was also very refreshing to listen to the sounds around me such as birds, the breeze and my footsteps. Since I do usually listen to music, these sounds were a bit new to me and I liked that.
On another note, I read something today that said take care of your body today so you will
be able to run better tomorrow. As training gets more intense, I know I am going to have to push myself beyond my conceivable limit. But I also need to remember that there will not be a marathon
for me unless I listen to what my body is telling me.

No comments:

Post a Comment