Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mind over body

I took a short break from writing my blog and went on a much needed vacation to rehoboth with my husband.  We had a wonderful time away. I am happy to say I stuck with my training during the week and was happy that I stayed committed to my goal.  I definitely tried to eat healthy but hey, it's vacation so I indulged a bit.   

Two runs stick in my mind from the week. The first was a five miler that I ran on Wednesday. It rained and was only about 70 degrees. At times the rain was pouring in sheets and I wondered if I would get out there at all.  Finally when I saw a lull in the rain I went for it.  To my surprise it was fun! Now many people love running but it is rarely described as fun. But on Wednesday as I dodged puddles and ran down the empty rehoboth ave that is usually packed with people, I started to smile.  I was loving how light my footsteps felt and how quick my pace was.  For once I wasn't worried about the heat or sun. Nothing mattered as I tore down the streets feeling free. As I passed by the few that were out, I know some were wondering what I could possibly have to be happy about but I say to them - go for a jog and find out!!
I would have liked to report that all my runs for the week were that exciting and enjoyable but unfortunately that was not the case.   Friday I set out to run 10 miles which was my long run for the week. I have run 10 miles before but for some reason was nervous about this run.  It was sunny and only around 7 am when I left the house but I knew it was going to get hot.  But I kept pushing and knew I would get relief once I made it to my destination, Breakwater Trail.  When i got to the trail it immediately lifted my spirits as it was shady and cool amongst the trees. Some sun was also present at times but I kept tugging along.  My legs started to feel tight around mile five and told myself I shouldn't have went on that bike ride the day before. I started to become tired and was feeling negative. I got to mile 6 and wondered if I would finish bc the end still seemed so far away...
Then in the distance I saw someone taking pictures and realized it was my husband. He had gone for a bike ride on the trail and found me. I was so happy to see him and asked if he would ride next to me as I jogged. He stayed with me for about the next 2 miles and his company helped so much. We weren't constantly talking but having him next to me got me out of my funk.  I stopped thinking negatively and together we enjoyed the beautiful scenes around us. After he left to go take some shots at the beach, I was able to hold on and complete the 10 mile task. I think I still would have finished if Brian didn't meet up with me on the trail but his presence helped lift me from the negative place my mind was headed. 

Later that day we went to the beach and I sat in my chair with a sense of pride. As I stared into the ocean and thought about the marathon and  my 10 miles, I realized that anything in this world is possible and that I Can do this. What I need to remind myself of is that it won't always be enjoyable and I may not always be smiling but in order to get to the end I believe there must be some struggle and suffering along the way.  If it was all so easy, what would be the point?   

1 comment:

  1. It Keeps You Running :)
    Do you know this song? By the Doobie Brothers!
    Keep going cousin, you are doing great!!!!

    ReplyDelete