Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Reflection

When you work in a school, summer ends when school begins and that first day back for me is tomorrow.  Although I worked part time in summer, starting back full force with students will surely take some time to get used to.  Transition back to work is always a process and now I am adding training for a marathon into the mix.  During the summer I was able to be a little flexible with when I would run during the day.  If it was hot it was the morning but I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn.  Now with school starting and the added heat wave, I am not exactly sure what to do.  Tomorrow I have to run 6 miles and I think I will do this in the evening.  Last night it was very nice out, about 70 degrees so I am hoping it will be like that tomorrow night as well.  I think this may be a good time to jog and reflect on the first day of school.  And as for the rest of the days I will just see how it goes. I do not want to stress too much about the 'when'.  I know I have to stick to training and cannot use work as an excuse so it should be fine. In fact since I started running, it has helped with the stress that work can sometimes bring.  It helps clear my mind and let go of any thoughts that I have trouble shaking.


For me, summer was positive.  I didn't go on a lot of vacations and I actually spent a lot of time alone but I think for once I used most of my time pretty wisely.  My husband would say that sometimes I have trouble relaxing and 'just being' but this summer I definitely gave myself time to wind down and think I may have actually learned how to relax.  I also took time to reflect on the important things in my life and accomplishments that I am striving for.  I practiced yoga often as well as finished some tasks around the house that have been put off for some time. I think it has lit a spark in me to continue with home improvements including tasks that in my mind have been challenging in the past.


Even though there are still 12 weeks to go until the marathon, this journey has already opened up my eyes in so many ways.  I realized that even though I will be the one doing the running, I am not alone.  My husband has already shown that he will be there for me when I need him and I feel so fortunate to have him to give me that extra push when I need it.  I also am so thankful for finding the running group, Team Philly.  Having the group not only has helped to keep up with my running but meeting others who have a common goal and maybe common fears has helped to put me at ease.  Having people around me who are supportive and encouraging only makes me want to cross that finish line even more.    I know that as I start the 2010-2011 school year, my coworkers, who are amazing, will also be there to lend an ear or give me some words of encouragement when I need them. 


This Saturday our group is running the first 14 miles of the marathon.  Maybe its because its only Tuesday and Saturday still seems so far away but I don't feel nervous about it.   I will just keep telling myself to take one step at a time.  This passed week, it helped me to not think about the end of the run, to really try and stay in the moment.  I kept looking at the beautiful scenery around me and the trees that seemed to follow me for miles.  It definitely helped keep me from getting overwhelmed about the distance that was still ahead.   The soreness from this week's 12 has subsided and now I think I am ready for my next challenge.  The best part about this coming weekend is that after I complete my run I get to witness two very good friends get married! I hope I have energy to dance the night away with them and all my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment