Saturday, October 23, 2010

Humbled by the distance



Just a 14 mile run this week.  Sounds like nothing after 18...
Um~quite the opposite.
It was hard!
And I was tired!
I wanted it to be over!

Ran through the city and enjoyed the lights- start, stop...start, stop.   Then a monster hill near the Please Touch Museum.  (Yes this hill will be present during the race so it is good to practice it, but still, it was tough. )It's one of those twisty hills so right when you think you are at the top, there is a turn and it's steeper still.  The positive-once at the top there is a beautiful view of the Avenue of the Republic.  Very cool.

Not sure where I am going with all this except that I have had many great runs during my training, and today was not one of them.  I finished and in the end that is the goal but today I felt a little broken down and also humbled by the distance.  I learned to not to underestimate the mileage, even if I have conquered it once, it is still going to be a challenge the next time.  Need to be ready at all times!!

This is going to be a fun week.  I am going to see Underworld in New York City on Wednesday with my husband and our friend Dan. We are staying over and hanging in NYC the next day. I took a personal day and am ready for a tiny little break from my job.  I hope to run in central park if there is time and I hope to relax and enjoy the moments.

Then on the 30th, its the big one ~ 20 miles!   It will be the longest distance that I have attempted and once this run is complete it will also symbolize the beginning of tapering our runs.  November is almost here and the marathon is right around the corner!!

2 comments:

  1. I guess the difficult runs make you appreciate the good ones that much more when you have them!

    You will be so in the zone the day of race you will have that determination pushing you through the entire race not to mention all of your family, friends and cyber fans support.

    Kudos on all you accomplished so far Sharon! Not many people can say they have done what you done. Remember that! Just remember ...You gotta have HEART!

    (side note I don't know why my aim reads as Bi-atch but it's Gina G- LOL)

    ReplyDelete