Sunday, October 17, 2010

Movin ahead so life won't pass me by

18 MILES!!

When I first received my training schedule back in August... The words 'October 16th - 18 miles', was one of the first things I saw.  Ever since then, I was dreading this day.  Back in August, I had no idea what to expect, no idea what my body would feel like and no idea if I could actually conquer this distance... So yesterday when I woke up, let's just say I was a bit jittery and antsy to get this run over with...

On my way to Philly, I cross the Ben Franklin Bridge. What did I see as I crossed - A huge Phillies sign that says - "Fightin' to the Finish" and I thought, that's what I will be doing today!!  It seemed a bit ironic but it was early and even though I knew the sign wasn't for me, I made pretend it was!

~Yesterday it was windy but sunny, brisk but not too chilly.  It was a gorgeous day to run.  And a perfect day to complete a new goal.   As we started running, the nerves began to subside and as we got into our groove, I think the new mile challenge started to seem doable.  The course we ran was through Wissahickon Creek and it was the perfect fall day for it.  With each step, I could hear the crackle of the leaves and it was an exciting way to experience autumn. 

I ended up running with Marion, a friend I have met through team Philly.  We are both training for our first marathon, have a similar pace and get along well.  I have enjoyed being her running partner and I hope the feeling is mutual.  During our 3 hour run,  we talked a lot.  I mean what else is there to do when you are running for such a long time!  As we ran, there was some soreness and tired muscles,  loss of energy and some motivation as well as some shared agony to know where that 9 mile turn around was!!  But that's the exciting part about running a distance like this is... there are SO many feelings that are going on at the same time, some great and some horrible.  Even in pain and fatigue, there was still laughter, conversation and positivity.  And when we were done, those are the things I took with me.  The things that kept me going, not the things that were attempting to hold me back.  18 miles was a success. 

On the drive home back to Jersey, I felt a little emotional.  As I crossed back over the Ben Franklin and listened to Jim Croce's, I Got a Name, I couldn't help feeling a sense of pride and accomplishment.  Maybe it was the dehydration or the tiredness, but either way,  the satisfaction almost brought tears to my eyes...I was able to head into yet another new mile zone... Another long run down ~ 5 weeks to go!!


Like the pine trees lining the winding road
I've got a name, I've got a name
Like the singin' bird and the croakin' toad
I've got a name, I've got a name
And I carry it with me like my daddy did
But I'm livin' the dream that he kept hid

Movin' me down the highway, rollin' me down the highway
Movin' ahead so life won't pass me by

No comments:

Post a Comment